** UPDATED FOR 2020!!**
Wow! It’s 2020!! Happy New Year . . . AND welcome to a new year of Prayer Calendars!
I am keeping close to the same format as years past, but there are a few changes. One of the changes is that our tour of the world will focus on the countries with the greatest persecution of Christians. I am using the 2019 watch list that was put together by Open Doors USA of the 50 most dangerous countries for Christians. If you’d like to see the whole list, you can find it here.
This would be a great time to talk with your kids about standing strong for Jesus no matter what. Share with them how there are places in the world where it is extremely dangerous to live for Jesus — and we need to pray for the Christians there to be encouraged and to keep living for Jesus in the midst of the persecution!
Perhaps you live in one of those countries . . . please be encouraged knowing that there are people praying for you as you stand strong for Jesus!
Thanks for using these prayer calendars and for sharing with your kids about the importance and power of prayer! May this be a fantastic year for you and your family as you raise children for Jesus!
January Prayer Calendar
January 2020 Prayer Calendar
1. This is the New Year! Spend time today thanking God for new beginnings! Do you have any goals for this year? Write them down and spend time praying for them! Ask God to help you grow closer to Him in 2019!
Praying for Persecuted Christians:
2. We are going to pray for some of the places where it is extremely dangerous to be a Christian! Christians who live in these countries could be hurt or even killed for their faith. Pray for these Christians to stand strong and not give up — and pray for the people who are persecuting them to find Jesus! First, we will pray for the Christians in Nigeria.
3. Today we will pray for North Korea and the people who live there.
4. It’s Saturday! Take some time today and fill an action pack for persecuted Christians. Find out how here.
5. Spend time today praising God for His work around the world. How have you seen Him work in different countries? How about in your own country? Have you heard any stories from missionaries about how God has been working? Read one of the stories found here and then praise God for His amazing work!
Back to praying for Persecuted Christians:
6. Pray today for the Christians in Afghanistan to stand strong for Jesus!
7. Today, let’s pray for Somalia and the people there — especially the persecuted Christians.
8. Let’s end our focus on persecuted Christians this month with the country of Libya.
Praying for your Country:
9. Pray today for the leaders of your country. What challenges are they facing this week? Do they know Jesus? Pray for them to seek God’s will . . . and most of all, for them to have a relationship with Jesus Christ!
10. Pray for the laws of your country. Pray that they will be upheld with justice and that any new laws will honor God. Pray for those who enforce the laws in your country.
11. It’s Saturday! Spend some time today writing an encouraging letter (or card) to the President or another leader of your country. Be sure to let that person know you are praying for him! If you live in the United States, you can find instructions on how to do that here.
12. Pray for a spiritual revival in your country. Pray that people will seek Jesus first. Pray for those who don’t know Jesus to have a hunger for Him. Do you know anyone who doesn’t know Jesus? Pray for that person. Ask God to give you an opportunity to share Jesus with that person!
13. Pray for the school system in your country. Pray for teachers and students and for truth to be taught. Pray for those who homeschool in your country. Pray for those who write curriculum to write it according to the truth!
Praying for your Community:
14. Pray today for the leaders in your community. Pray for your mayor and city council. Pray for your local law enforcement officers and fire fighters. Pray for the people who deliver your mail and pick up your garbage!
15. Pray for your neighborhood. Do you know your neighbors? Pray for them by name! Ask God to help you get to know the ones that you don’t already know! Pray for opportunities to share the love of Jesus with them! Ask God to show you one way you can reach out to your neighbors this week . . . and then do it!!!
16. Pray for all the churches in your community. Pray for the ministry staff and their families. Pray for all the churches to work together to share the love of Jesus with those in your community!
17. Pray for the hospitals and health clinics in your community. Pray for the doctors to have wisdom and the ability to do their jobs well. Pray for those who are suffering with illnesses right now. Do you know someone who is sick? Pray for that person and his/her family today!
18. It’s Saturday! It’s also Sanctity of Human Life Month! Spend time today doing something special for your local Pregnancy Resource Center — or a young mom you know who could use extra help! Put together a baby kit — items that a baby could use such as diapers, wipes, clothes, etc. Drop that baby kit off to the Center or to someone who could use it . . . all in the Name of Jesus!
19. Today is Sanctity of Human Life Sunday! Spend time today praying that people will recognize that ALL life has value.
20. Pray for your local Pregnancy Resource Center and for those who work and volunteer there. If you don’t have a Pregnancy Resource Center in your area, please pray for the one that I work at! It’s called LifePlan and you can find out more about it here.
21. Spend today praising God for the fact that He is sovereign. He is in control of all things! Even though it sometimes seems like the world is out of control, God is STILL IN CHARGE! Thank Him for how he has helped you through the crazy times in this world and thank Him that someday every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord!
Praying for your family:
22. Pray today for the members of your immediate family. Pray for your mom and dad and any brothers or sisters you have. Pray for their relationship with God. Pray that they will seek God and follow Him with their whole lives! Pray for your relationship with each one of them. Pray that you will treat each one of them the way that God wants you to!
23. Pray today for your grandparents, aunts and uncles, and cousins. Pray for each one of them to have a personal relationship with God. Pray for any health or financial needs they may have. Pray for their relationships with one another and with you.
24. Pray today for any problems your family is currently facing. What is causing your family to worry? Ask God to take care of it! Ask God to give you all His peace through whatever is going on. Is everything going great? Spend time thanking God for that!
25. It’s Saturday! Do something nice for a member of your family today . . . and try to keep it a secret!!
26. Pray today for the impact of your family in your neighborhood, community and world. Pray for God to use your family to reach lost people for Him. Pray for opportunities for your family to share the love of Jesus with those around you. Ask God to guide your family and to take you right where He wants you to be!
Praying for Yourself:
27. Pray today for your own relationship with Jesus. Ask God to help you grow closer to Him each day. Pray for courage to do the things that you know you should, even when those things are hard to do! Pray for one area you really struggle with and for God to help you in that area.
Praying for the Fruit of the Spirit:
28. Pray today for the fruit of JOY in your life! What does it mean to have joy? Ask God to show you how to live in His JOY — no matter what is happening in your life.
29. Pray today for the fruit of PEACE in your life! Ask God to show you what it means to have His PEACE in your life.
30. Spend time today praising God for His POWER. Look for examples of God’s power in your life and in the world around you! Draw a picture of something that displays God’s power!
Work on memorizing the fruit of the spirit. Use this song to help:
End of the Month Reflection:
31. Think back over this past month. How did you see God answer prayer this month? How was your prayer life this past month? How did you do with your New Year’s Goals? Spend time today thanking God for helping you grow this past month, and ask Him to help you continue to grow in the next month.
Start this new year with a new devotional! Check out this fun one written especially for kids!
Hi Cheri! Are you, by chance, making children’s prayer calendars for 2019? They are so wonderful!
Thanks so much! I haven’t had a chance to work on prayer calendars much lately, but I will try to get some up for 2019. Thanks for the encouragement!
Hey, just wanted to let you know that I’ve updated January for 2019. Thanks for the encouragement to do so!
Here’s the link: https://cherigamble.com/2016/12/31/january-prayer-calendar-for-kids/
Do you have an updated 2021 calendar for January?
Not the same style. I have a calendar for 2021 but it’s a bit different. You can find it here: https://cherigamble.com/2020/12/30/2021-bible-reading-prayer-calendar-for-families/